A farmer named Isaac Newton Alexander bought a large tract of land along Briar Creek in 1857. Shortly after, he built a two-story grist mill on the site and hired millers to operate the device.
The mill processed corn and wheat for local farmers, and was one of the first in the area to process cottonseed, peanut, and castor bean oil. It was in operation until 1896 when the mill finally shut down operations due to the addition of larger, more efficient mills in the area.
Today, the ruins of the mill are visible along the Briar Creek greenway on the edge of the Myers Park High School campus. The ruins can be freely explored and the site includes an informational sign about the mill’s history.